History

History of the country-house

The area of „Montemartano“ was cited as early as 1241 in a document from Federico II which lists not fortified castles and country-houses under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Spoleto.

A great number of fortifications, almost all in ruins now, can be found along the road which descends from “Montemartano” towards Spoleto, passing the borough “Terzo la Pieve”, once halting-place for the romans and very much used during the Middle Ages. It is situated between the “Monti Martani” and the town. Continuing on this road one arrives at the castle of Uncinano. After 1200 the castle was transformed into a monastery with its own little church (not existing anymore).

As from 1600 the former monastery was devided into habitations for the resident population. The country-house was built close behind the castle and for the first time enlarged around 1700, based on the existing medieval construction. Later on, in the middle of 1800, it was restored by Don Cesare Marroni (parish priest of Uncinano) who lived here until the construction of a new church with a parish priest’s house. The realization of the new church of Uncinano was the work of Don Cesare Marroni and the project showed many similarities to the Basilica of Assisi.

In 1896 Don Cesare was granted the benefit of the parish of Uncinano by Leone XIII with a document still preserved in the country-house. Another document from the Italian reign signed by Umberto which makes this benefit official can also be admired. In this period Don Cesare received his nomination to become “Monsignor”. The restorations made were typical for Monsignor Marroni who planned the garden at the side of the mountains with a wonderful view over the surrounding countryside. Monsignor used to walk in the garden with it’s entrance from the back, isolated from the village, where he would find peace and concentration. The country-house was uninhabited after the death of Monsignor in the thirtees and later on purchased by the family Anderlini, together with the surrounding grounds, who made it their residence with a partial restoration. In 2006 the country-house was completely restorated considering the original conformation and recovering the aspect of typical umbrian habitations with special tile floors, beams of chestnut wood, natural stone walls. The restorations were finished in 2009. The country-house is managed by the Anderlini family.